Wednesday, June 1, 2011

David Shrigley




Photobucket


Just recently my studio tutor suggested that I work a little in text and typography... so I did. I found I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. I was able to really personalize the things I was saying, in this case of course relating to friendship.

In doing so I came across the work of David Shrigley. His works are not necessarily refined or elegant but rather quirky and interesting. I've found myself struggling to keep away from refining all my work so much so I admire this quality. A lot of his work from an outsider's perspective doesn't really make sense which gives them a mysterious quality, it leaves you wondering what he meant, what he got from it personally. I aim to make my works thoroughly personal yet able to be related to by others.

I love David Shrigley's work and I hope to work in the same quirky qualities in some of my work.

Photobucket


Photobucket




References

SaveTheArtsTV. (2010, Sep 9). 'An important message about the arts' - an animated video by artist David Shrigley [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6rYDaORe3k&feature=share

Shrigley, David. 2008. Ants Have Sex in Your Beer. Glasgow: Chronicle Books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment