Thursday, October 13, 2011

Shepard Fairey

Photobucket


Ah Shepard Fairey, you wonderful man you. Known for his 'OBEY' sticker campaign and Obama , Fairey is an American graphic designer and illustrator. Originating in the skateboarding scene his works often use a stencil like effect reminiscent of street artist's such as Banksy and bold lettering. He has only recently been used as artist inspiration for me as I used his wording 'OBEY' in one of my latest framed works, however I changed its context. Looking at more of his work now has alerted me to other similarities between our works such as the use of block colour, especially primary colours. Fairey uses red constantly throughout his works, I have used red sparingly, however it is present in most of the works. He also uses popular culture references and important figures to demonstrate his point. In my framed work Where's Wally arms are present, in my collage the presence of Mickey Mouse ears and other popular Disney characters creates a juxtaposition and a conflict between the accepted view of Disney characters and the anger and angst portrayed within both works, one portraying symbols of death and mystery, the other of anger, conflict and religion.



Photobucket


References

Fairey, Shepard. "OBEY GIANT - WORLDWIDE PROPAGANDA DELIVERY" Accessed October 13, 2011. http://obeygiant.com/.

Fairey, Shepard. 2009. Obey: Supply and Demand, The Art of Shepard Fairey. USA: Gingko Press.

0 comments:

Post a Comment