Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nike Savvas

Photobucket


A friend in studio recommended looking at this artist after he saw what I was doing with my stitching in the doorway. It's basically exactly what I was doing on a much larger scale and using frames rather than directly onto the space. The above piece is from Savvas' 2010 exhibition in Sydney called Sliding Ladder. She uses materials such as woolen thread to break the conventions involved with the perceived view of craft. "I like the idea of using materials from the real world and turning them into high art." (Savvas, 2010) This is EXACTLY what I've been aiming to do! Changing materials traditionally used for craft into pieces which can be considered more than craft.

She also says that "like(s) the repetitive process,” (Savvas, 2010) which I can definitely also relate to. Through repetition I like to experiment. I also like the fact that repetition can lead to large scale works such as those of Savvas and can create such an impact on the viewer. This is definitely a goal for the future.

References

O'Sullivan, Jane and Nike Savvas. "Artist Interview: Nike Savvas- Australian Art Collector" Accessed August 28, 2011. http://www.artcollector.net.au/ArtistInterviewNikeSavvas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment